This is the perfect recipe for a soft, moist and rich eggless chocolate cake that’s super easy to make. A single-bowl recipe too!
My favorite chocolate cake recipe would be the devil’s food cake recipe, but I do get requests for eggless baking and here’s a recipe that’s just perfect for that.
The recipe uses buttermilk + baking soda combination to get the rise and fluffy texture. Cocoa powder gives it an intense chocolate flavor. Using oil instead of butter in the recipe makes it moist because cocoa is quite dry. (you can read about my oil v/s butter experiment to understand the science behind it).
The best way to eat this cake would be to frost it with chocolate ganache or chocolate buttercream. A popular cake flavor on my menu is ‘Cookies and Cream’ Cake where I use this eggless chocolate cake as my base and frost it with whipped cream mixed with chocolate cookies crumbs (Oreo!) and some chocolate ganache (2 parts chocolate : 1 part cream ratio) drips. I put a fun leopard print design on one side of this cake that I made for my nephew’s birthday this year 🙂
This a one-bowl recipe – fewer utensils to clean! This recipe makes one 8″ round pan or two 6″ round pans.
If you want to adapt this cake to different pan size, refer to my post “Adapting Recipes to different pans” for an easy way to do it. For example, multiply the ingredients by 1.5 to make two tall 9″ cakes which can be then cut into halves to get 4 layers in total. You may need to bake the cakes longer.
Join the ‘kitchen scale’ movement and weigh your ingredients. Meanwhile save the weight conversion chart for quick reference.
Follow me on Instagram @noopurs_kitchen. Don’t forget to click, share and tag @noopurs_kitchen when you try this recipe out! I love looking at all your creations.
Eggless Chocolate Cake
- 180 g All Purpose Flour
- 60 g Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 180 g Caster Sugar
- 120 ml Oil
- 240 ml buttermilk – or make your own by mixing milk and vinegar
- 1 tsp vanill
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Prepare one 8" round pan (or two 6" round pans) with parchment at bottom and grease the sides.
- Sift in flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt into a small bowl and mix till combined. Keep aside.
- In a large bowl, add oil, sugar, buttermilk and vanilla and mix for 3-4 minutes till emulsified and most of the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the dry ingredients and gently mix them in till no dry flour remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared 8" round pan and bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes (it will take about 28-30 minutes if using 6" pans). Toothpick inserted in center should come out clean.
- Remove the pan from oven and let it cool completely on a cooling rack. Remove from pans and frost them with buttercream of ganache if making a layer cake.
How is the buttermilk made?
Add a little vinegar or lemon juice to the same quantity of milk and wait for the milk to curdle and use.
U haven’t mention Baking powder… Did u miss it??
I have tried so many egg less cakes so far… But my cakes always have some sour taste.. I think it’s because of baking soda… Can u plz tell me how to to remove that sour taste n make it taste like a perfect cake…
This recipe doesn’t have baking powder.
Try adding little less vinegar and a little more vanilla to the cake.