Chocolate Banana Bread is incredibly tender, moist and packed full of flavours of sweet ripe bananas and rich decadent chocolate. Made with whole wheat flour and without eggs, it is a simple quick recipe!Jump to Recipe
I love a good banana bread. The eggless and whole wheat banana bread recipe on my blog has gotten me great feedback. I’ve been experimenting more recipes with whole wheat flour, and this one doesn’t disappoint either since I have added a little cornflour to give it a lighter texture. Since we are adding cocoa powder (which makes the cake dry), we need to add some milk to compensate. I think it will work with water instead of milk as well (for making it vegan), I would suggest boiling the water and adding it at the end to help dissolve the cocoa better.
If you’re a fan of banana bread too and also love coffee, this Starbucks drink inspired Caramel Macchiato Banana Bread would be right up your alley.
Can we take a minute to talk about chocolate? I know its a chocolate banana bread thanks to the cocoa powder in the recipe, but when you get little bursts of melted chocolate in between, I am sure you’d agree adding the chocolate chips is a brilliant idea!
Freezing Bananas for Baking
If you don’t have time to use your bananas when they reach their peak ripeness, try freezing them for later! I freeze them with their skins in plastic freezer bags. When I need them for baking, I let the bananas thaw a little over the counter for about 5 minutes, then remove the skin. I then let the bananas thaw completely before mashing and using in the recipe. You can also fasten this process by microwaving the unpeeled bananas for a minute or so (I sometimes forget to take them out in advance!).
Chocolate Banana Bread – Eggless & Whole Wheat
- 165 g whole wheat flour
- 20 g cornflour
- 20 g Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 100 g caster sugar or natural brown sugar
- 150 ml milk at room temperature
- 120 ml Oil
- 4 medium sized ripe bananas – mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180 °C. Prepare a 9″x 5″ loaf pan either with butter or cooking spray or with parchment paper that slightly hangs outside for easy removal later.
- Sift together whole wheat flour, cornflour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt at least 2-3 times. Keep aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the sugar and milk till combined. Add the oil and vanilla and whisk till combined.
- Add the mashed bananas and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients in two parts and fold gently with a spatula.
- Reserve a handful of chocolate chips and add the rest into the batter and fold gently.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle the reserved chocolate chips on top of the batter.
- Bake it at 180°C for 40-45 minutes until the center is set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. If you feel the bread is browning too much on the top, tent it with a foil after about 30 minutes in the oven.
- Remove from oven and allow bread to cool in pan for about 10 minutes before removing it to cool it completely on a wire rack.
- This chocolate banana bread can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for 5-6 days. You can also freeze the bread for up to 6 months.