A quick & easy recipe to make these bakery style Chocolate Muffins which are Eggless, Whole Wheat and studded with lots of chocolate chips and stuffed with Nutella in the center!Jump to Recipe
A bad day can still be turned around with a spoonful of Nutella, right? And I guess same can be said about chocolate too. So trust me when I say this, these chocolate muffins with EXTRA chocolate chips AND Nutella center – I am speechless (partly because my mouth is full ;)). I guess I need a sip from the glass of milk I’ve kept for my photos.
At least they are made with whole wheat flour, so not a total guilty indulgence! I am trying to replace the flour in some of my favorite bakes and I frankly don’t miss anything – like this hot milk vanilla cake with whole wheat and jaggery that was actually loved by everyone who ate it.
Of course you don’t have to add Nutella in the center, and of course you can make this without the chocolate chips, but why would you?
I’ve made these with egg and with yoghurt. They both hit the mark perfectly, so go as per your dietary preferences. The muffins made with eggs would be slightly taller than the eggless counterpart.
Eggless Whole Wheat Chocolate Muffins
- 280 g whole wheat flour
- 30 g cornflour
- 50 g Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 150 g Caster Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 60 ml plain thick yoghurt – or 1 large egg
- 240 ml buttermilk – or make your own with 240 ml milk and 1 tsp vinegar
- 120 ml Oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100 g chocolate chips
- 12 tsp Nutella – approx. 80-100 grams
- 5-6 tbsp milk – as required
- Preheat your oven to 200°C. Prepare a 12-muffin pan with liners.
- Sift your whole wheat flour and cornflour together for at least 3-4 times. Add cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt and sift it all together once to combine.
- In a large bowl, mix buttermilk, yoghurt and sugar for couple minutes with a whisk. Add oil and vanilla and whisk it together till well combined and emulsified.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and gently mix together with a spatula. Fold in the chocolate chips into the batter. If the batter feels really thick, add 5-6 tbsp of milk till you get the right consistency.
- With a ice cream scoop, add 1 tbsp worth batter into each muffin liner and gently spread it so it completely covers the bottom.
- Add 1 tsp of Nutella in the center of each muffin batter.
- Add 1 tbsp worth batter over the top of Nutella and spread it gently to cover it completely.
- You can drizzle some more Nutella on top or add some chocolate chips or chopped chocolate on top.
- Bake the muffins at 200°C for 15-17 minutes till a toothpick inserted comes out clean. (Insert it towards the edge so you don't mistake Nutella for wet batter).
- Remove from oven and let it cool for 5 minutes in pan before removing the muffins to cool over a wire rack.