Caramel & Coffee Banana Bread is the perfect marriage of a tender & moist coffee flavoured banana bread topped with a brown sugar glaze. It’s eggless, whole wheat and without refined white sugar – an easy one bowl recipe!
Any fans of Starbucks’ ‘Caramel Macchiato’ drink? Well, it’s coffee and caramel in one cup – my kinda drink! This ‘Caramel & Coffee Banana Bread’ would remind you of this drink, and trust me, it’s really hard to resist.
There’s something comforting about eating this bread – you first taste caramel thanks to the glaze as well as the brown sugar within the bread itself, and then you’re hit with the coffee kick. Even though it’s whole wheat flour, the yoghurt and bananas give the cake such tenderness that you’ll be surprised this is whole wheat and without eggs!
Let’s take a minute and talk about the glaze. Its a pure combination of butter and brown sugar boiled for 3 minutes with some vanilla and salt – a quick caramel if you don’t want to go through the whole process of caramelizing the sugar. I love some salt in the glaze – adds another layer of complexity to the flavours. You can omit the glaze (but really don’t!) and instead swirl some homemade caramel sauce inside the batter before putting in the oven.
Freezing Bananas for Baking
If you don’t have time to use your bananas when they reach this peak ripeness, try freezing them for later! I freeze them with their skins in plastic freezer bags. When I need them for baking, I let the bananas thaw a little over the counter for about 5 minutes, then remove the skin. I then let the bananas thaw completely before mashing and using in the recipe. You can also fasten this process by microwaving the unpeeled bananas for a minute or so (I usually forget to take them out in advance!).
Caramel & Coffee Banana Bread
- 80 ml oil - 1/3 cup
- 100 g light brown sugar - 1/2 cup packed
- 60 ml Greek yoghurt - 1/4 cup
- 1 tbsp instant coffee granules
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 110 g whole wheat flour - 1 cup minus 1.5 tbsp
- 15 g cornflour - about 1.5 tbsp
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup mashed bananas - 3 medium or 4 small bananas
- 85 g unsalted butter
- 70 g light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Preheat your oven to 160C. Prepare a 9"x 5" loaf pan either with butter or cooking spray or with parchment paper that slightly hangs outside for easy removal later.
- Sift together whole wheat flour, cornflour, baking powder, baking soda and salt at least 2-3 times to aerate. Keep aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together oil, yoghurt, sugar, instant coffee and vanilla and whisk till combined.
- Sift in the dry ingredients and gently mix until combined. Do not overmix.
- Add the mashed bananas and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and smooth the top. Bake it at 160C for 40-50 minutes until the centre is set and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. If you feel the bread is browning too much on the top, tent it with a foil after about 30 minutes in the oven.
- Allow bread to cool in pan on a wire rack while you make the glaze.
- In a small saucepan, add the butter, brown sugar and salt. On a low heat, simmer the mixture for about 2-3 minutes till it thickens. Add the vanilla and stir in.
- Let the glaze cool a little before pouring on top of the bread (still inside the pan). Spread it out evenly with the help of a spatula.
- Allow the glaze to set a little (about 10 minutes) before removing the whole bread from the pan. Cool the bread completely on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
- This banana bread can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for 5-6 days. You can also freeze the bread for up to 6 months.