I finally have my perfect vanilla cupcake recipe! I declared a war between oil and butter and they came with all guns blazing. I had so much fun experimenting to finally arrive at this one perfect recipe which uses both oil & butter (read my blog post on oil v/s butter war here). These are moist, airy, delicious cupcakes, the vanilla flavour gets all the glory here! The recipe makes 12-15 cupcakes.
215 g all purpose flour
132 g sugar
65 ml vegetable oil (4 tbsp + 1 tsp)
60 g butter
1½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1 large egg, at room temperature
170 ml milk ( ¾ cup)
1 tbsp yoghurt
1. Preheat oven to 160 deg C. Line a 12-muffin tray with cupcake liners.
2. In a bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder & salt.
3. Add the butter and mix till you get a crumbly texture.
4. In a separate bowl, add the milk, yoghurt, oil, vanilla & egg and mix slightly.
5. Add the liquid mixture to the dry slowly and mix until well combined.
6. Scrape the bowl once and mix again for about 30 seconds.
7. Using an ice-cream scoop or 2 spoons, scoop the batter equally into the tray. They should fill a little more than half.
8. Bake the cupcakes for about 15-18 minutes till the skewer inserted comes out clean.
9. Remove from the pan and let them cool completely on a wire rack.
10. Serve them with a frosting of your choice – I’ve frosted them with flour buttercream (Ermine frosting) using my new Wilton 1M tip and added some sprinkles for decoration.
11. These should be stored at room temperature in an air-tight container. They taste best the day they are made.