American Buttercream Frosting is versatile when it comes to cakes and cupcakes decoration. They are easy to make with fewer ingredients and they take on the colour well. They are easily spreadable and also can be easily piped – giving your creativity a free rein! They also store well (about 4 weeks in a refrigerator), so you don’t have to use them all straight away.
You can check my go-to vanilla cupcakes recipe HERE.
Icing Sugar – 110 grams (1 cup) (sifted)
Unsalted butter – 60 grams (1/4 cup) at room temperature
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
Milk (room temperature) 1 tbsp
Food colour of choice
1. Using a hand mixer/electric mixer/whisk, beat the butter for about 5-7 minutes till smooth and pale.
2. Add vanilla essence and mix well.
3. Now gradually add the icing sugar to butter while beating it. Ensure all sugar and butter is mixed well.
4. Add milk and beat the mixture until light and fluffy. You can add more milk or icing sugar depending on the consistency of the frosting.
5. Add the food colour of your choice and mix well for another 30 seconds till well incorporated. (This is also the stage where the buttercream can be flavoured as well)
6. Transfer the icing to a piping bag with a nozzle of your choice for frosting cakes or cupcakes. Ensure your cakes/cupcakes are cool before you start piping.
1. The consistency of the frosting might differ depending on the kitchen temperature and quality of ingredients. Hence, the icing sugar and milk should be adjusted depending on the final texture – if it’s too dry add a teaspoon of milk, if it’s wet, add a tbsp of icing sugar and go from there.