I was looking for a fool-proof vegan chocolate chip cookies recipe for a while, and I’ve finally found one!
Those who know me, know my love for travel and exploring the different cuisines (and in recent times the bakeries as well). When I was researching for bakeries in New York City, I read about Ovenly Bakery based in Brooklyn that does amazing vegan chocolate chip cookies sandwiches. Unfortunately, due to bad weather conditions, I could not visit Brooklyn on my trip.
The bakery name was on the back of my mind when I stumbled on a Youtube video where Ovenly owners were making their famous cookies. Of course, I had to try their recipe and here I am! They are as good as promised and you don’t miss the richness of butter or the eggs in these at all!
The oil in recipe provides a great moistness to the cookie and it’s important to emulsify the oil, water and sugars properly (similar to the creaming of butter and sugar). Resting the dough for 24 hours definitely helps the case as well – it helps all the flavours to develop and the flour and sugars get a headstart in breaking down.
Also, I also ran out of dark choco chips, so I added some white. Add some (vegan) buttercream frosting between two cookies and make a sandwich out of them. Or dip them in melted chocolate partially and sprinkle some toasted coconut flakes or chopped nuts.
This recipe yields about 20-24 medium sized vegan chocolate chip cookies.
Meanwhile, do read my ‘Science of Cookies’ post and understand the chemistry behind the ingredients & process of making cookies. It definitely helps when experimenting with new recipes 🙂
Furthermore, understand the difference between science behind oil & butter in baking.
How do you know when a cookie is done?
You know its time to take out the cookie sheet from the oven when the edges start turning golden brown and the centre is still soft. The cookies will continue to cook from the heat of your pan, and if you’ve read my ‘Science of Cookies’ post, you’ll know what happens after the cookies are taken out of the oven 🙂
Vegan Chocolate Chip CookiesPrep Time15 minsCook Time15 minsResting Time1 dTotal Time30 minsA fool-proof vegan chocolate chip cookies recipe - crunchy yet soft in the centre, perfect for dunking in milk or making cookie sandwiches!Course: Dessert, SnackCuisine: CookiesServings: 24 cookiesIngredients
- 250 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips you can use dark, white, or a mix
- 100 g caster sugar
- 90 g light brown sugar
- 135 ml oil 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp
- 75 ml water 1/4 cup + 1 tbspInstructions
- In a bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder & salt. Add the chocolate chips and mix lightly to coat them in flour. Keep aside.
- In another large bowl, add the oil, water, caster sugar and brown sugar and whisk for 4-5 minutes till they are emulsified well.
- Add the sifted flour into the oil-sugar mixture and mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours (or at least 12 hours).
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Make small balls of dough (you can use ice cream scoop for easier and even scooping) and place them on the cookie sheet. (Optional - put the cookie sheet in the freezer for 10 minutes to get an even shape of cookie)
- Bake the cookies at 180C for 12-14 minutes or till the edges are just golden brown. Do not overbake.
- Remove the cookie sheet from oven and put on a wire rack. After about 10 minutes, remove the cookies from sheet and cool them on a wire rack directly.
- Store in an air-tight container. These cookies stay good longer since they don't contain any dairy.