This Strawberry Cheesecake Galette is a spin on the classic – juicy fresh strawberries with creamy cheesecake layer to go with the crispy flaky crust. Crunch, crackle, tangy, sweet, fresh, easy – tick tick & tick!!
Galettes are rustic, free-form tarts made with a single crust of pastry with sides folded up and over the filling to contain the juices. It doesn’t require a special pie dish, the shapes don’t need to be perfect, and you basically just need 2 components to make it a galette – pie dough and a fruit/savory filling.
Strawberry Galette is a popular recipe – just the pie dough and the fruit. I had a feeling adding a layer of sweetened cream cheese would compliment the flavours really well. And it does! You get creaminess to offset the tartness of strawberries. I love this spin on the classic.
It’s a fairly simple process. Part 1 is making the pie dough – just mixing all the ingredients till just combined and wrapping it up to chill in fridge. You can meanwhile prep the strawberries and the cream cheese mixture. The galette itself comes together in 15 minutes – roll the pie dough, spread a thin layer of cream cheese mixture, arrange the strawberries, and fold in the edges. No fancy tools, no fancy crimping.
You can make one large strawberry cheesecake galette or make 4 mini galettes. You can sprinkle some demerara sugar after you milk wash the prepped galettes to add extra crunch and flavor to the crust.
If you love cheesecakes, check out the recipe for New York style baked cheesecake that’s an absolute favorite across board.
This recipe is inspired from a recipe on Food Network.
Strawberry Cheesecake Galette
- 175 g all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp Caster Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 113 g Unsalted Butter – cubed and chilled
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 60 ml ice cold water
- 200 g cream cheese – room temperature
- 50 g Caster Sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp vanilla
- pinch Salt
- 200 g strawberries
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- some demerara sugar for sprinklgin – optional
- 2-3 tbsp milk – for brushing
Preparing the dough
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt.
- Add the chilled butter cubes and using a pastry cutter or a fork, cut the butter into the flour till it resembles coarse sand. (tiny pea size bits of butter is okay)
- Mix the vinegar in water and drizzle into the bowl 1 tbsp at a time and gently mix. Stop adding water as soon as you get large lumps.
- Transfer the dough and all dry bits to your work surface and with your hands form them into a round ball. Do not knead the dough. Flatten the dough into a disc, cover it with cling wrap and keep in the fridge for atleast 1 hour.
Preparing the filling and fruits
- In a bowl, gently whisk the cream cheese till it softens into a smooth paste. Add the sugar, cornstarch, salt and vanilla and whisk it together till combined.
- Slice the strawberries, put them in a bowl and sprinkle the cornstarch over them. Gently toss them so that the strawberries are covered in cornstarch.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take out the dough from fridge. Lightly dust your work surface with flour and roll out the dough into a round of about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Leaving 2-3 inches of space on all the sides, add spoonfuls of the cream cheese mixture and spread it across to form a thin layer. Transfer the rolled dough onto
- Lay out the strawberry pieces evenly onto the cream cheese layer.
- Fold in the edges of the dough little at a time, overlapping the previous fold. Pinch the corners together if needed. Brush it will milk and sprinkle demerara sugar if using.
- Chill the galette in fridge for about 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Take out the baking sheet from fridge and transfer it into the oven. Bake it for 30-35 minutes till golden.
- Remove from oven and brush a little milk onto the strawberry pieces if they look too dry. Let it cool for about an hour before slicing and serving.