Rich & decadent, the chocolate cupcakes are pure indulgence. Top them with chocolate buttercream and it’ a treat no one can resist 🙂
This recipe contains eggs, so if you’re looking for a recipe without, look no further and head here 🙂 I’ve got you covered!
What’s a cupcake without frosting? Pipe some ‘Chocolate Buttercream‘ or slather some ‘Nutella Buttercream‘ and take them many notches higher 🙂 (Of course there are other choices for frostings too, go experiment 🙂 )
This a one-bowl cupcakes recipe – easy to clean!
60g granulated white sugar
40g all-purpose flour
25g cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup buttermilk (make your own – take 1/4 cup milk and add a tsp of vinegar or lemon juice)
2 tbsp oil (canola or sunflower)
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 batch of Chocolate Buttercream Frosting (recipe here)
Sprinkles of choice for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Line a 12-muffin tray with cupcake liners.
2. In a bowl, whisk the egg and vanilla together. Add oil, buttermilk and warm water and whisk together.
3. Sift the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt) into the bowl and mix gently until the batter is smooth and no large lumps remain. Don’t overmix.
5. Fill in the cupcake liners up to 2/3rd full. Bake at 180C for 20-25 minutes till a skewer inserted comes out clean with couple moist crumbs at the most. Let them cool completely.
6. Decorate them with a frosting of choice. I like chocolate buttercream frosting – quick and easy to make and tastes great. Add some Nutella and you’re for sure in another heaven with the Nutella frosting!
Original Recipe by Martha Stewart